Home > INFORMATION > Sightseeing
Sightseeing
Bomun Lake Resort District
Bomunho Lake is a man-made lake 1,652,900m² in size. It was built on the site of an old fortress in Myeonghwalsan Mountain in the east of Gyeongju in accordance with the Gyeongju Bomun Tourist Resort development plan. There are many leisure facilities and parks around the lake, including an international hotel and Gyeongju World. Bomun Lake is very popular among bikers and walkers.

Location : 424-33, Bomun-ro, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Closed : N/A (Open all year round)
Gyeongju World is a comprehensive amusement park consisting of Amusement Park and California Beach. There are 28 varieties of new rides, performance halls, sledding slopes, and playground made with natural grass. California Beach is a large-scale water park with exotic themes, swimming pools, and artificial wave systems. The X-Zone in particular offers the most exciting thrills via fun rides like Phaethon, inverted rollercoaster, Mega Drop, Tornado, and Grand Canyon Wild Adventure. The X-Zone is a popular setting for Korean variety TV shows.

Location : 544, Bomun-ro, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Admission Fees : [Admission only] Adults 23,000 won [Ride Pass] Adults 44,000 won
Bulguksa Temple District
Bulguksa Temple is a representative relic of Buddhist culture from the Silla kingdom. The temple was built in 528 BC during the 15th year of King Beop-heung's reign (514-540) to wish for peace and prosperity for all. It was later rebuilt in 751 by Kim Dae-seong. Unfortunately, the temple caught fire during the Imjin War (1592-1598). After the war, the temple suffered serious damage and was often the target of theft.
Starting in 1920, the temple has undergone continual restoration work. The temple now holds seven national treasures, a number of additional important heritages, and was designated a World Cultural Heritage Site along with the nearby Seokguram Grotto by UNESCO in December 1995.

Location
: 385, Bulguk-ro, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Operating Hours :  March-September 09:00-17:30 (Sat, Sun : until 18:00)
Admission Fees : Adults (ages 19 & over): 6,000 won
Seokguram is known to have been built at the same time as Bulguksa Temple. According to the history book Samgukyusa of the Goryeo Dynasty (the country that unified the Korean peninsula at the end of the Silla Kingdom, 918-1392), Kim Dae-Seong had Bulguksa Temple built for his parents in his current life, and Seokguram Grotto for the parents of his former life.
Inside the round-shaped main hall are the Bonjon Statue, Bodhi-sattva and his disciples. The Bonjon figure wearing a generous smile is seated on the stage engraved with a lotus flower design. The rounded ceiling looks like a half-moon or a bow and has a lotus flower decorated cover on it. The view of the sunrise is quite beautiful and many people hike the mountain at daybreak.

Location
: 873-243, Bulguk-ro, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Operating Hours :  March-September 09:00-17:30 (Sat, Sun : until 18:00)
Admission Fees : Adults (ages 19 & over): 6,000 won
Downtown District
Gyeongju Donggung Palace and Wolji Pond was the secondary palace site which was used by the crown prince of the Silla Kingdom. It also served as a banquet site for important national events and important visitors. After the fall of Silla, the site was abandoned and forgotten. The pond was referred to as "Anapji" during the Goryeo and Joseon periods. In the 1980s, a pottery fragment with letters “Wolji” (a pond that reflects the moon) carved onto it was found, revealing the true name of the pond. After the discovery, the site was renamed to the current Donggung Palace and Wolji Pond.

Location : 02, Wonhwa-ro, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Operating Hours : 09:00-22:00 (Last admission 30 minutes before closing.)
Admission Fees : Adults 3,000 won
Within Daereungwon Tomb Complex is Cheonmachong Tomb (Ancient Tomb No. 155), which was excavated in 1973. Cheonmachong Tomb consists of a wooden coffin placed inside an underground chamber mounded with boulders and earth, characterized as a typical upper class tomb of the Silla period. The mound has a height of 12.7 m with a diameter of 50 m, and consists of a layer of rocks collected from streams. Below the rock layer is a wooden chamber that is 6.5 m long and 2.1 m wide, reaching 2.1 m in height, with the wooden coffin at its center. A total of 11,526 artifacts were discovered within the tomb, including Cheonmado, an artwork considered highly valuable as it is Korea's first artwork to be excavated from an ancient tomb.

Location : 9, Gyerim-ro, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Operating Hours : 09:00-22:00 (Closed at 21:30)
Admission Fees : Adults 3,000 won
Namsan Mountain District
Namsan Mountain is a veritable open-air museum, with 100 temples, 80 stone Buddha statues, and 60 stone pagodas scattered across the mountainside. Topographically, it features nearly 40 valleys and is divided into the Southwest Mountain, a sacred place during the Silla period, and the Southeast Mountain, where many Buddhas can be found around the valleys. Namsan Mountain is also famous for its scenic landscapes in addition to its cultural heritage. Numerous valleys, unique rock formations, and beautiful trails are abundant throughout the area. It is a place where the scenic nature and long history of the Silla Kingdom coexist, and also where the aesthetic consciousness and religious traditions of the Silla people evolved into the artform it is today.

Location
: Naenam-myeon, Bae-dong, Tap-dong, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Poseokjeong Pavilion served as a separate palace where kings enjoyed banquets with nobles. The building no longer exists, but the abalone-shaped stone water canal still remains, which is speculated to have been built during the Unified Silla period with the exact year unknown. The water canal has an estimated length of 10m and a width of approximately 35cm with an average depth of 26cm.

Location : 816, Namsansunhwan-ro, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Operating Hours :  09:00-18:00
Admission Fees : Adults 2,000 won
East Bay District
In 2012, when the Army base in Eupcheon-ri, Yangnam-myeon relocated to a different area, a hidden treasure was discovered inside the former Army base. The Yangnam columnar joints formation is a product of wind, waves, and rock. It was designated as Natural Monument No. 536 in September, 2012 due in large part to the sheer beauty and variety of its rock formations. Yangnam columnar joints have various forms, such as fan-shaped , slanted , and lying columnar joints. Meanwhile, the Jusangjeolli “Sound of Ocean Waves Road” is 1.7km-long coastal route that stretches from Eupcheon Port to Haseo Port. It features well-maintained decked roads, gazebos, benches, and bridges. Also, in October 2017, an observatory was built to give visitors a chance to observe Yangnam Jusangjeolli from a whole new perspective.

Location : 30-37, Jinri-gil, Yangnam-myeon, Gyeongju-si
Operating Hours :  09:00-18:00 (Observatory)
A little rocky islet approx. 200m from the shore at Bonggil-ri is the Underwater Tomb of King Munmu (661-681 A.D.), who unified the three kingdoms and became the 30th ruler of the Silla Kingdom. The king gave specific instructions to be buried in the East Sea after his death so that he would become a dragon and protect Silla from Japanese intruders. The rocky island, about 200 meters in circumference, is divided by a cross-shaped waterway, forming a pool at the center, at the bottom of which is a granite stone 3.6 meters long, 2.9 meters wide and 0.9 meters thick. Legend has it that the remains of King Munmu’s cremated body are buried under this rock. Historians still debate whether the ashes of the King Munmu were scattered or stored in an urn and placed under the rock.

Location : 1366-9, Donghaean-ro, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
West Mountain District
The Royal Tomb of King Muyeol is the tomb of Kim Chun-chu, who acsended to the throne as the 29th ruler, King Muyeol (r. 654-661), of the Silla Kingdom. King Muyeol sought to unify the three kingdoms by allying forces with China's Tang dynasty, but passed away before he could successfully accomplish his goal. To the east of the grave are the remains of his stele with an inscription that reads “Taejong Muyeol Daewangjibi (Tombstone of the Great King Muyeol)," indicating the owner of this grave.

Location : 10-4, Neungnam-gil, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Operating Hours :  09:00-18:00 
Admission Fees :  Adults 2,000 won
Geumjangdae as well as Bonghwangdae is a place where people can see the panoramic view of the urban area of Gyeongju at a glance. Geumjangdae was named after “Geumjang”, the name of temple or building in this place. Built under Geumjangdae, Yegicheongso consists of Seocheon and Bukcheon, main streamtributaries of Hyeongsangang River, and is famous for the setting of the short story “Munyeodo” by Kim Dongni.
Geumjangdae has outstanding scenery and is a place where lots of relics can coexist. Ancient tombs are located over the entire hill where Geumjangdae is located. Two ancient tombs with well-preserved vestigial traces of tomb robberies are located on the southern mountaintop and northern mountaintop respectively.

Location : Seokjang 1-gil, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Operating Hours :  06:00-22:00 
Northern District
Gyeongju Yangdong Village is Korea’s largest traditional village, showcasing the traditional culture of the Joseon Dynasty and the beautiful natural surroundings. Thanks to its many cultural heritages, including treasures, national treasures, and folklore materials, the entire village has been designated as a cultural heritage site. Many people have visited this village to see its wealth of cultural heritages and scenic surroundings. Charles, Prince of Wales, visited this village in 1993.
Mt. Seolchangsan and its four spines of mountains can be seen beyond the village. Approximately 160 old houses and 500-year-old thatched-roof cottages are nestled within the valley. Fifty-four of these homes, are over 200 years old and have been excellently preserved in their original state, offering a rare opportunity to view a variety of unique Korean traditional houses in person.

Location : 93, Yangdongmaeul-gil, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Operating Hours :  09:00-18:00
Admission Fees :  Adults 4,000 won
Oksanseowon Confucian Academy was built to commemorate the academic achievements and virtues of Confucian scholar Yi Eon-jeok (1491-1553). It was founded in 1572, in the fifth year of King Seonjo’s reign, and received its current name the following year. It was one of the 47 Confucian academies that was ruled out from the Confucian academy abolition order made by Heungseon Daewongun. Although the building structures do not carry significant meaning in architectural aspect, the distinguished space arrangement of the buildings is hard to go unnoticed. Dokrakdang Hall, which was Yi Eon-jeok’s vacation annex as well as his study room, is situated 700 m away to the north from Oksanseowon.

Location : 216-27, Oksanseowon-gil, Angang-eup, Gyeongju-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Operating Hours :  09:00-18:00